When I asked what I should blog about during breakfast week the most common response I got was along the lines of ‘my breakfast is so boring- how can I make it more interesting?‘
Are you bored with breakfast?
Well fear not. There’s an easy way to fix that.
Adding a different topping* can totally transform the same bowl of porridge or piece of toast into something fantastic. Toppings add different tastes, textures, temperatures, colours, and smells. There are infinite combinations. So you really have no excuse for a boring breakfast.
Below I’ve listed all the healthy toppings I can think of and then given you my favorite combos. If I’ve missed some off let me know in the comments.
Fresh/Frozen fruit and compotes: e.g. banana, apple, berries, kiwi, persimmon, fig, passion fruit etc.
Dried fruit: e.g. raisins, cranberries, mulberries, cherries, goji berries, apricot, prune, dates.
Fruit or veggie juice: e.g. orange, lemon, lime, carrot, beetroot.
Veggies: Sliced (e.g. tomato, cucumber) mashed (e.g. butternut squash, sweet potato), grated (e.g. carrot, courgette, beetroot), or frozen (e.g. peas, sweetcorn).
Nuts & nut butter: e.g. peanut, almond, hazel, cashew, pecan, walnut, brazil, pistachio, tiger nuts.
Seeds & seed butter: e.g. pumpkin, sunflower, sesame/tahini, flax, chia, hemp, poppy.
Other healthy fats: e.g. avocado avocado oil, olive oil, coconut oil, coconut flakes.
Cereals: Granola, oats, buckwheat groats, other packet cereals (e.g. corn flakes, puffed rice).
Spreads & Sauces: Hummus, pesto, jam, chutney, hot sauce, tomato sauce, chocolate spread/sauce.
Sweeteners: e.g. Maple syrup, agave syrup, coconut syrup/sugar, carob syrup, date syrup.
Herbs: e.g. Mint, basil, coriander, rosemary, Italian mixed herbs.
Spices: e.g. Cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, mixed spice, turmeric, praprika, chilli, cracked black pepper, Himalayan sea salt.
Powders: Cacao/ cocoa, carob, maca, lumaca, mesquite, acai, vanilla.
Chocolate: Raw or dark chocolate, cacao nibs.
Miscellaneous: Yogurt (e.g. coconut/ soya), crumbled biscuits or brownies (homemade refined sugar free would be best), milk (e.g. extra almond milk on top of your porridge. Probably not advisable on toast!).
Here are a few for my favourite triple threat combinations.
- Avocado, lime juice and chilli flakes.
- Avocado, tomato and sesame seeds.
- Tahini, mashed butternut squash and cracked black pepper.
- Hummus, pesto and sweetcorn.
- Mashed peas, mint and hemp seeds.
- Peanut butter, mashed banana, raisins.
- Almond butter, sliced persimmon, and cinnamon.
- Cashew butter, sliced strawberries and coconut flakes.
- Mashed raspberries, maple syrup and granola.
- Chocolate spread, chocolate spread and more chocolate spread!
Beautiful breakfast bowl:
- Maple syrup, sliced banana and crushed walnuts.
- Pineapple, coconut flakes and cinnamon.
- Frozen berries, cacao powder and chia seeds.
- Banana, raw chocolate and ground ginger.
- Chopped dates, almond butter and mixed spice.
- Lemon zest, yogurt and poppy seeds.
- Apple compote, pecans and raisins.
- Persimmon, coconut flakes and lime juice.
- Crumbled cookies, yoghurt and pistachios.
- Grated carrot, dried mulberries and sliced almonds.
Hopefully that gives you some ideas on tasty toppings for your go-to breakfast.
What are you going to try?
*I’ve kept all the toppings vegan. If you aren’t a vegan you could consider honey as a sweetener and eggs or oily fish (e.g. sardines, salmon) on toast.