5 Non-dairy Milk Alternatives

I don’t know about you but I’m always running out of non-dairy milk. I find it really annoying that they only sell it in 1 liter cartons. They sell up to 6 pints of milk- so why only sell 1.759 pints of almond, coconut or rice milk?

Since I run out of milk quite often I’ve developed several alternatives that are ready for immediate use.

homemade non-dairy milk alternatives healthyandpsychedThese are best used as soon as they’re made and won’t keep well- the ingredients will separate. But these options are far better than having to use plain water when you don’t have time to pop to the shop and buy some more milk.

1. Blended nuts, seeds or coconut & water

Cashew nuts or hemp seeds are my favourite. Use a handful of nuts/ seeds / coconut flakes and a cup of water. If you know in advance you want to make this (e.g. you realize at night you have no milk for breakfast) it’s best to soak the nuts/ seeds because it helps them to blend to a smoother milk. It won’t be as creamy as a shop bought non-dairy milk but it does the job for cereal and does become creamier in porridge. I’ve used it in baking and for coffee as well. It would probably be okay for creamy sauces.

2. Nut flour

Fine almond flour or peanut flour can be mixed with water for a yummy milk. Adjust the quantity of flour and water to suit your needs. This would be a good substitute in most situations as long as you bear in mind the stronger taste.

3. Blended tofu & water

Make your own soya milk by blending tofu and water! Quarter of a block and a cup of water should make a good strength milk but you can adjust accordingly. Silken tofu will create the smoothest milk but firm also works. This is good to use in most situations you’d want soya milk.

4. Oats & tea

You can blend oats and steeped tea such as roobois (or plain water) to make a creamy liquid. Be sure to let it stand for a few minutes so that the oats absorb the water, and then mix it well.  You’d have to play around with the quantities to suit your needs. Also, I absolutely love to soak my oats overnight in tea. The oats make their own milk, which will be flavoured by the tea- it’s so delicious. Try my Spring Time overnight oats using this trick.

5. Coconut water

Using coconut water means you can still enjoy cereal/porridge even if you’ve got no milk. It’s also lovely in a smoothie or pancake mix. Try coconut water in an acai bowl or mango smoothie.

Hope this has helped.

What do you do when you’ve use up all the milk?

20 Comments

1. March 9, 2016 / 3:49 pm

My favorites are soy milk and almond milk!! Thanks for sharing, my happy pixel!! 😉

2. March 9, 2016 / 5:26 pm

Brown rice milk. Preferrably cooked 3 hours or just blended and strained in a cheese cloth. I always have rice …

• March 9, 2016 / 6:33 pm

I’ve never tried to make rice milk before. It sounds pretty easy.
      For this post I was trying to suggest alternatives that don’t need much preparation.

• March 9, 2016 / 7:13 pm

It really just needs blending rice and water … can even be raw. That’s my simplest way to make milk for smoothies if there are no nuts.

3. March 10, 2016 / 7:27 am

I love home-made, flavoured oat milk! Makes such a difference when made yourself.

• March 10, 2016 / 9:47 am

Do you strain it once you’ve made it or leave the oats in? Also I read you dont have to soak the oats before you blend them- what do you think?

• March 10, 2016 / 6:57 pm

I strain it – using a nut bag I bought online. An I have done both (soak/not soaked oats) and honestly found little (noticeable) difference really! How about you?

• March 10, 2016 / 8:17 pm

Ah okay. Thanks for the tips. I have only tried to make it quickly with a handful of oats and I didn’t strain it.

4. March 10, 2016 / 3:46 pm

These are such great alternatives! I am so excited to try out the almond flour and water mix! Bah! Never thought of that!

• March 10, 2016 / 8:16 pm

Thanks 😀
      Make sure you get a fine one though. I did it with ground almonds and it was still a but grainy. It doesn’t matter if you want to put it on porridge, but for coffee it’s a bit weird.

5. March 10, 2016 / 7:03 pm

This post was very helpful! I also find it hard to keep our fridge stocked with enough almond or soy milk! My toddler and I have only been vegan for a couple months, and I am just venturing into the world of tofu, and have been wondering how I could incorporate it more into our diet. I was wondering how it tastes in a smoothie? Have you tried it? I want to start creating some tofu recipes for The Thought Gallery, now that I’m getting more venturous!

• March 10, 2016 / 8:20 pm

Thanks 🙂 I have tried tofu in a smoothie and it was fine- I think how much you taste it will depend what you pair it with. I went for traditional peanut butter and banana and it was yummy.
      You certainly seem to be doing some adventurous things- like the sunflower seed butter 🙂

• March 10, 2016 / 9:09 pm

Follow me on The Thought Gallery and stay tuned! I’m always a mad scientist trying to come up with delicious, nutritious and animal-free food! Feel free to share my sunflower seed butter!

• March 10, 2016 / 9:10 pm

Just followed you before I replied to the last message 🙂 Looking forward to see what you make

• Heathy & Psyched
      June 8, 2016 / 2:04 pm

Brilliant, I’m so glad to hear that.
      Which kind of milk do you think you’ll try?