Sugar Free February (day 7): I’ve Cheated… Twice

I bet you’re wondering if the title about  cheating on Sugar Free February is real or just a catchy gimmick to get you to read this article.

It’s real.

Let me explain.

Accidentally cheating on sugar free February

The first time was Monday morning (day 6). I’d slept really badly and snoozed my alarm several times. I was feeling sorry for myself on the way to work so I decided to cheer myself up with an unsweetened almond milk cappuccino. But as soon as I took a sip I tasted CHOCOLATE POWDER!!

i cheated on sugar free february

I’d totally forgotten to ask for it without chocolate…. The things is, if the barista asks me I always say no and sometimes they don’t even put it on at all! So it didn’t even occur to me to ask for no chocolate when I was ordering it. You might be wondering why I even order a cappuccino if I don’t want the chocolate. But it’s because it is foamier than a latte and I like foam!

When I got my chocolatey cappuccino I could have waited until I got to work and scraped the foam off but then my drink would have been cold. I could also have scraped off the chocolate into a public bin (I did have a plastic spoon in my bag and it crossed my mind). But I thought that might look a bit weird. I could also, as my friend later suggested, thrown the drink away, but that would have been a waste of money.

So I chose to drink it- chocolate and all. It was only a tiny bit of chocolate powder and I had ordered it by accident so I didn’t feel bad drinking it. But I wasn’t sure if it counted as cheating, so I made a poll on twitter and facebook. The votes for cheating won by one person!! So I have paid the £5 I promised to if I cheated (see here).

Intentionally cheating on sugar free February… maybe

The second time I cheated was today. Although I don’t know if what I ate contained sugar….

I was at a great event hosted my myunidays.com . I will blog about it later, but we had a nutrition talk and a work out with Lucy Mecklenburgh and the Results With Lucy Team. Lunch was also provided. They had gone to the trouble of ordering me a special vegan lunch so I decided to eat even though I wasn’t sure if it contained sugar or not. I would have felt rude not eating it and I’d also have felt out of place if everyone else was eating. Plus it looked yummy and healthy. If I chose not to eat it and explained why I think people would have understood, but I just didn’t want to make a scene.

cheating sugar free february challenge

I really enjoyed the meal and I have donated the £5 for cheating.

Staying on track in sugar free February

So there have been two days back to back where I have ‘cheated’. But I just want to make it clear that I have turned down sugar filled treats countless times and not given in to my temptations to eat chocolate or watermelon! I am taking this pledge to go sugar free seriously because I would really like to raise money to spend on meals for homeless people. (Please see my donation page where you can donated until the 2nd March 2017)

Over to you

Do you think those incidents count as cheating?

I’m interested to know what you think.

I expect that from the outside it’s easy to think that I should have avoided having the drink/food. But pretend it was you in that situation and see if your opinion changes.

40 Comments

1. February 8, 2017 / 12:48 pm

Mmm its a difficult one, the meal especially and in that situation I would have done the same as you and not considered it cheating. Suppose it all depends on how strictly you want to take the challenge. I’m loving following it though 🙂 x

February 8, 2017 / 4:25 pm

Hi, Thanks for your comment Lynne. This whole blog post was reminding me of when I was in Religious Studies class at school and we had to consider moral dilemmas. It’s interesting to know what people think.
      I’m going to try and be stricter from now on but I sometimes you can’t always plan what happens.

2. February 8, 2017 / 4:51 pm

I really think that I would only consider it cheating it you really were wanting something with sugar in it and chose to have deliberately have it even though you know you are not supposed to. I’m sure others will have differing opinions, but that’s how I look at it.

February 8, 2017 / 5:01 pm

Hi Sarah, Thanks for your comment. That’s kind of the view I was taking. I’ve avoided giving in to my cravings because I don’t think it’s right of me to ask people to donate and then just eat some chocolate if I want to!! But I am being a bit more flexible with some life situations.

3. February 8, 2017 / 4:51 pm

I’m not sure I would have considered the meal cheating – as you say, you couldn’t not eat it! x

February 8, 2017 / 5:02 pm

Thanks Stephanie. I did a twitter poll about the coffee but just decided to donate for the meal. Maybe I should have done another poll and saved myself £5!

4. February 8, 2017 / 6:08 pm

It’s such a hard challenge. Not sure whether the second constitutes as cheating – wouldn’t know without seeing the ingredients x

February 8, 2017 / 8:07 pm

Haha, well there was some flavoured rice which may have had sugar and even the sweetcorn you can’t be sure on!! Sometimes they have sugar! But I’m not going to get totally paranoid about everything. There was no way to see the ingredients.

5. February 8, 2017 / 6:54 pm

I once had to scrape chocolate off my coffee and you will get the weirdest looks, so good call. As far as cheating, I wouldn’t call it that. A mistake perhaps, but a mistake you learn from is always useful in the long run. Good luck on your sugar-free journey!

February 8, 2017 / 8:03 pm

Hahaha. I can imagine!
      Thank you 🙂 It’s been interesting and I think I can learn a lot from this whole experience.

6. February 8, 2017 / 7:25 pm

I think both of those are small mjstakes and I wouldn’t consider them cheating!

February 8, 2017 / 8:01 pm

Thanks Danasia, you’re too kind 🙂

7. February 8, 2017 / 8:28 pm

That meal you made looks so nice, and you shouldn’t beat yourself up too bad about making a mistake with the chocolate! We all slip up from time to time 🙂

February 9, 2017 / 9:38 am

Thanks Luke. To be honest I’m not worried because I’m taking the view that life happens and I will learn from those mistakes.

8. February 8, 2017 / 8:43 pm

I don’t think i could ever so no to chocolate…. Not that I’ve even tried haha. I’ve never been much of a dieter, and as much as I hear people say about cheating on that diet, I think if you have small amounts of something (not every day, but enough to, well, not desperately crave something!) then it should be alright. But like I’ve said, I’m not much of a dieter. And I’m heavily reliant on energy drinks… I should probably try sugar-free March…

February 9, 2017 / 9:37 am

I think having a bit of everything is a good approach. At the moment I am planning to have that approach when I finish this month – religiously avoiding sugar is hard and just no fun sometimes!
      Haha- energy drinks are pretty sugary usually! You must be totally buzzing with energy all the time!

• February 10, 2017 / 12:34 am

WELL, I used to extremely sensitive to caffeine, especially being a kid who only used to drink water but now.. Not so much. I literally feel nothing apart from insomnia in the nights.. Lately the sugar has actually been grating on me though, so I’m thinking of trying to detox from fizzy and sugary drinks for awhile! As long as sugar in tea is okay?!

9. February 8, 2017 / 10:44 pm

I think it’s great you donated £5. If I was quitting sugar, I would probably cheat too x

February 9, 2017 / 9:35 am

I decided that I’d have to donate if I cheat as more of an incentive not to do it!!

10. February 9, 2017 / 3:28 am

I guess its not cheating since this is not really intentional. haha! I guess you should not be out of your mind to focus more on no sugar goal. haha!

11. February 9, 2017 / 9:30 am

I don’t think the second incident counted as cheating as you don’t even know if there was sugar on it, and the first time was just an accident x

February 9, 2017 / 9:31 am

Thanks Rhian. Maybe I am being too strict about this! At least the money is going to a good cause though 🙂

12. February 9, 2017 / 11:35 am

I think mistakes are probably a better description than cheating. In my opinion there has to be a deliberate intention to cheat and you didn’t have that. But both these situations were learning experiences, I bet you are extra careful with your coffee order for the rest of the month.

February 9, 2017 / 2:17 pm

Yeah I think your right, mistake is probably a better term. Haha- I think I will just order an americano from now no!

13. Dannii
    February 9, 2017 / 1:32 pm

These things happen! But I wouldn’t say it is cheating, as that is such a negative word. You are making healthier changes and that’s all that matters 🙂

February 9, 2017 / 2:18 pm

Thanks for the support Dannii

14. February 9, 2017 / 6:01 pm

I don’t think they count as cheating and even if you scraped the chocolate powder off there would of still been sugar there. As for the meal I’ve no idea about vegan foods but I know most foods now contain sugar and salt even if we think they don’t x

February 9, 2017 / 9:58 pm

Hahaha. You’re right about the scraping thing- where do we draw the line!?
      I know it’s crazy. Like the salad had sweetcorn and some sweetcorn has added sugar!! Why I’ll never know – it’s already sweet!

15. February 9, 2017 / 7:01 pm

I don’t think either are classed as cheating in my opinion. Keep up the good work, I know I couldn’t do it. Jo x

February 9, 2017 / 9:56 pm

Hi Jo, thanks for your comment 🙂 I don’t think they’re cheating too badly, but some people thought I should make a donation so I did.

16. February 10, 2017 / 11:24 am

It’s not easy to go a month without sugar if you are not used to it. I can easily forgive the choccy powder or hidden sugars in dressings etc.

February 10, 2017 / 12:40 pm

Thanks Melanie. Luckily I try not to eat too many added sugars anyway, so I know where to look out for them. I got some veggie burgers at the weekend that I thought were ‘safe’, but when I got home I read the label and they have maple syrup!! They’re in the freezer to save for later but just shows you have to double and triple check everything!

17. serenityyou
    February 10, 2017 / 1:27 pm

Your doing amazing!!! There is no way I would even last a day without sugar!

February 10, 2017 / 4:06 pm

Thanks for the kind words 🙂 It is really helping me not to cheat.

18. February 10, 2017 / 8:32 pm

I don’t think I would go as far as calling them cheats the first was an accident at worst and for how much chocolate there is it’s an acceptable pass. The seconds is more difficult but I wouldn’t personally say it was a cheat

February 10, 2017 / 8:40 pm

I’ll take an ‘acceptable pass’ 🙂

19. February 11, 2017 / 3:05 am

Two little slip ups isnt so bad and its still a great achievement. Although not sugar related, I don’t really drink normal milk and theres times when I’ve forgotten to ask for soy milk rather than the whole milk in coffee shops etc and its annoying!

20. Angela Milnes
    February 11, 2017 / 5:16 pm

You seem to be doing really well. It is so hard to go without sugar. I should be doing this too! Your inspirational!

21. Jess
    February 13, 2017 / 2:39 pm

Surely the chocolate powder doesn’t count!? Especially since you didn’t specifically ask for it. It sounds like you’re doing great with your challenge, but I wouldn’t worry too much when the minor slip ups are out of your hands.

February 13, 2017 / 3:03 pm

It did taste sugary!! Thanks for the encouragement.