Confessions of a Health Blogger 9 & Thoughts on Perfectionism

Today I want to confess what has kept me from writing a blog post for a whole week! And it’s even holding my back from writing this post right now!

My third confession on the blog (read 1 and 2 here) is that

I’m a perfectionist!

I’m a perfectionist and I have re-written this paragraph at least three times. Then decided none of the versions were any good and wrote this instead!!

How being a perfectionist affected me this week.

Since I began my psychology PhD 10 months ago  I have known that I have to write the introductory chapter of my thesis for the start of September. But I didn’t start writing it properly until last week (the middle of August)! I have piles and piles of notes. And I have written a draft of a journal paper based on my first study so I obviously know a lot about the subject. But I just felt like I couldn’t start writing the chapter of my thesis because I couldn’t do it well enough. As a perfectionist I just don’t want to settle and hand in something that’s just ‘okay’. So I have been working long hours last week to try and finish my thesis chapter for the deadline, which meant I have had no time for blogging! Crying Face on Apple iOS 9.3

My thoughts on being a perfectionist.

I think that being a perfectionist has benefitted me because it has pushed me to get good grades and do well in my academic work so that I was accepted for the PhD. But it’s also held me back and caused me problems, because what does a perfectionist do when they don’t think they can do something perfectly? They don’t do it at all or they get annoyed, they get upset, they cry. Well I cry… a lot. And on reflection all of the worrying and crying just isn’t worth it because it’s okay not to be perfect!

Today’s issues with being a perfectionist

1. Re-drafting the title several times. From ‘Confessions of a health blogger & why it’s okay not to be perfect’ to ‘ confessions of a health blogger and being perfectly imperfect’ and a whole range of other things!
  2. Re-drafting whole paragraphs and spending well over 40 minutes changing the order of words! How some people say they write a blog in under half an hour I don’t know!
  3. Getting my boyfriend to read the draft because this post is a bit out of my comfort zone and not my usual smoothie bowls or healthy dessert recipes.
  4. Not knowing what picture to put with this post!! I wanted to use this picture of some strawberries on soya yogurt I took the other day. I used the strawberries purely because they aren’t ‘perfect’, but then that doesn’t really have anything to do with the other theme of the post which is about studying…  but I don’t have any photos saved on my computer that do have that theme!! Big dilemma.

it's okay not to be perfect

So there you have it. My confession about why you haven’t heard from me in a week!

If you missed me then be sure to follow me on instagram, twitter, facebook and pinterest. And subscribe to my newsletter.

Are you a perfectionist? How has it affected you?

14 Comments

1. August 23, 2016 / 10:04 pm

I don’t think anyone could find fault with your posts, I always fund them very enjoyable and interesting to read. I feel extremely guilty reading that as I just throw my posts out there with reckless abandon. I never believe they will be good enough, let alone perfect, so I just check for typos, took a while to even do that, publish and then promptly run away. I hope everything goes well with your thesis. Thank you for your continued support.

• August 23, 2016 / 10:05 pm

* Notices typo* Hah, yeah, I was being ironic. Ha ha…ha…*Runs away*

• Heathy & Psyched
      August 28, 2016 / 5:52 pm

Aww, thank you so much 🙂
      Haha, sometimes I think it’s best to just type your thoughts down and not alter them too much- it’s very authentic then.
      You’re so welcome. I love seeing what’s going on in your garden 🙂 It’s so lovely that we can support eachother.

2. August 24, 2016 / 8:39 am

Oh yes. Every bit of your post could have been mine too. Nightmare as a student researching and researching, not wanting to miss that last piece of information and then being completely surrounded by notes and being so overwhelmed all I did was eat! A blog post takes me all day to write, and yes I change the title over and over, swap sentences and paragraphs around, make my hb read the drafts then moan at his comments and redo it! I told you, we were twins in a former life

• Heathy & Psyched
      August 28, 2016 / 5:55 pm

Hahahaha. Yep, snap about the not wanting to miss someting and having so many notes! And the eating- I’ve been munching my way through just about everything this week. Good job I won that massive prize from nanabar!!
      You’re so dedicated to write so many wonderful blog posts when it takes so long. I love all of the information about the ingredients that you include.

• August 28, 2016 / 6:30 pm

Thank you. Hope the conference is going well.

• Heathy & Psyched
          August 28, 2016 / 10:47 pm

It was really good thanks 🙂 I got to talk to some great researchers. All done now after a long train ride back from Aberdeen!

• August 29, 2016 / 9:23 am

Glad you’re home safe. ☺️

• Heathy & Psyched
            August 29, 2016 / 9:25 am

Aww, thanks so much Chris.

3. August 25, 2016 / 9:00 am

I love this Rachel!! it’s such an honest and open inside look into how you are and your approach to things. As someone who always feels the need to be better, I can totally relate. I’ve found just doing it is better than procrastinating. You can always ‘perfect’ it afterwards 🙂

• Heathy & Psyched
      August 28, 2016 / 5:56 pm

Thanks Cara.
      Haha- totally agree that just doing it is better than procrastinating, but sometimes it’s just so hard to knuckle down and do it!!!

4. October 10, 2016 / 1:56 am

Awesome post! I love this and has inspired me to try and write something similar on my own blog. When I decided to start my blog this year, it took me two months to even decide on the name; I think I changed it at least 10x before I was happy (well happy enough to stick with it!). I also relate to your thesis problems. I always feel like I have all the information and know what I want to write but when I sit down and write something I spend the next few hours just trying to construct my title and opening paragraph :).

• Heathy & Psyched
      October 10, 2016 / 3:22 pm

Hi 🙂
      What’s the link to your blog- I can’t seem to access it by clicking on the name you left.
      Sometimes it’s hard to write the more personal blog posts, but I have found they get amazing responses.
      Hahaha, I also spent ages thinking about a name for my blog!
      Yeah, I always have to remind myself that ‘something is better than nothing’ and if I just write something the rest might fall into place. But it can be beyond frustrating most of the time! I was just thinking today that I enjoy the reading but writing is so hard!
      What is your PhD in?

• October 11, 2016 / 11:49 pm

Hi,

The link to my blog is https://nourishdlifestyle.wordpress.com/ thanks so much for your interest! Totally agree, my first posts were done primarily to force me into getting something out there so that I felt pressured to continue.

I am not doing a PHD but went back to uni last year to complete a post-grad diploma in marketing and contemplated continuing on as one of my research projects was the prequel to either masters or PHD (I was exploring differences in creativity between eastern and western cultures). I would like to go back on day but working and studying full time was intense. Future plans potentially 🙂 love anything psychology related, especially consumer behaviour and why we make decisions so keen to explore that a bit further!