How to: Create an Insta-Worthy Breakfast Bowl

Over the past few weeks I’ve become more confident in sharing my breakfast bowls with you guys on instagram. Through trial and error I’ve picked up a few tricks that help my photos look more interesting and eye-catching.

I’m gonna embarrass myself slightly by showing you guys some of the first breakfast bowls I posted on instagram when I first started, followed by how my bowls look now.

Then

Now

Hopefully you agree that I’ve improved my presentation.

5 Tips To Improve Your Pictures

1. Find good light

This is definitely one of the most important things. Take your picture by a window or some people even go outside for good natural light. If it’s not light enough your picture will be grainy. Most of the ‘then’ pictures I took under a desk lamp because it was the middle of winter and dark in the mornings. I’m definitely asking for some lighting equipment for my birthday so I don’t have the same problem next year.

2. Use colour

Different coloured toppings can help to make your photo more attractive. It can also help the different elements to stand out. For example, if you put raspberries on a pink smoothie they might get a bit lost compared to say, blueberries.

3. Make patterns

I love making patterns, be that straight lines, circles or something more abstract. You could even cut your fruit into cute heart or star shapes. The more practice you have the better you’ll get. Just do what feels natural for you and don’t try too hard- the effort doesn’t always pay off and you might end up getting frustrated if it isn’t ‘perfect’.

4. Get the right sized bowl

You’re breakfast isn’t going to look nice if it’s hidden in a shadow at the bottom of your bowl! This can be remedied by buying a smaller bowl. You can get them for £1 or £2. Although, I still have a problem sometimes when my housemates use my smaller bowl and keep it in their room!

5. Keep it clean

Make sure to clean the sides of your bowl to make the photo look more professional. If you’ve put any topping in a line try and make sure they’re straight (I struggle with this!!), and you haven’t got any stray toppings. For example, sometimes coconut flakes can get where you don’t want them! I also like to use a white background (which is literally just white A4 paper).

And a bonus trick that I learnt from Amber @rawveganblonde

Take multiple photos and review them after you’ve taken a few. This can help you to spot if something is out of place, or if the colours aren’t working together. That way you can fix it before you post the real thing.

Hope you’ve found those tips useful.
Want to here what the experts say? click here

How do you keep your breakfast bowls looking nice?

24 Comments

1. February 17, 2016 / 1:25 pm

Your presentation looks pretty good to begin with! (But some great tips all the same :))

• February 17, 2016 / 2:25 pm

Thanks Emily 🙂 I was always intending to make a foodie account, so I really tried to set the pictures up nicely.

2. February 17, 2016 / 6:43 pm

I sometimes liked adding little props on the side or only featuring half the bowl – my kinda style. My friend found some cheap lighting equipment actually on eBay, which is something I think is always a good investment anyway.

• February 17, 2016 / 9:55 pm

I had a little snoop on your instagram. Love the props like the magazine and the lime!!
      I’ll take a look on ebay for lighting equipment. I seem to have spent so much money recently though!

• February 19, 2016 / 6:49 am

Thank you. Yeah my props used to be more extravagant when I had the time haha. Yeah lighting equipment is always a good investment… if not, ask it for your birthday!

3. February 17, 2016 / 10:23 pm

Hello, I’ve enjoyed reading your posts recently.

I’ve just nominated you for a ‘Food For Thought’ Quotation Challenge.
    It’s just for fun, choose some quotations that inspire you and post on 3 consecutive days, then nominate 9 other bloggers who’s work you’ve enjoyed to share in the inspiration.
    Here’s a link to my 3rd post with a few details about the challenge.
    I look forward to reading you ‘Food For Though’ if you choose to take part.

Debs x

4. February 18, 2016 / 9:29 pm

Oh my goodness I was just complaining to my husband about how my photos look awful haha thank you!

• February 18, 2016 / 9:31 pm

Hi Ariana 🙂 I bet your husband said they look good already! Sometimes I think us bloggers can be perfectionists! Hope some of the tips are helpful.

• February 18, 2016 / 9:49 pm

He did. That’s exactly what he said. “You take great photos!” Lol the tips are great though! 😀 thank you a ton!

5. February 19, 2016 / 1:18 am

Beautiful – most attractive breakfasts ever!

6. February 19, 2016 / 3:39 pm

Some great advice! Your pictures look great!

• February 22, 2016 / 5:18 pm

Thanks 🙂 I’ll be doing a follow up post with tips from expert bloggers on Wednesday. Hope you can check it out.

• February 24, 2016 / 7:07 am

That sounds great! I’ll make sure I have a look!

7. February 21, 2016 / 6:54 am

what photo editor do you use? these are beautiful! :O

• February 21, 2016 / 7:47 am

Thanks. I use Aviary- it’s a free app. Then the instagram filters and tuning.

8. February 22, 2016 / 3:42 pm

Nice breakfasts, my happy pixel!! Do you have the recipes somewhere??
    Love, thp