I’ve been trying to encourage my boyfriend to eat at least one of his 5-a-day at breakfast. At the moment he will happily add banana to oatmeal. But veg seems to be a no go. To remedy that I created carrot cake overnight oats! Because who doesn’t want dessert for breakfast? A second bonus of this breakfast as that it’s made the night before. So he can grab it in the morning and eat it after his cycle to work!
This recipe is different from the ones I’ve seen on the internet because it uses dried mulberries for sweetness. You would probably have to go to a special health/ wholefoods shop to buy them, and they aren’t cheap, but if you treat yourself you won’t regret it. They are a super yummy addition to porridge or trail mix and a bag will last you for ages (if you can resist eating them). Mulberries add a wonderful texture and caramel flavor as well as a boost of antioxidants to support your immune system and plant compounds to regulate your blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
3 of your 5-a-day
- 1/2 cup sprouted or rolled oats
- I medium carrot – grated
- 1 banana (half mashed and half to cut up for decoration)
- 1/4 cup dried mulberries (substitute for raisins)
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (I used rice milk)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp all-spice
- The night before mix all of the ingredients (apart from half of the banana), cover and leave in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning top with the other half of the banana and enjoy.
Did you know….
Carrots might actually help you see in the dark. They contain vitamin A, which is known to help people see in dim light.
Have you tried adding veggies to your porridge before?
Maybe you have if you’ve followed one of my tricks for a filling breakfast.
Let me know in the comments, or #Healthyandpsyched