This protein ice cream has over 24g of protein and tastes like dessert. It’s the perfect post-workout meal if you can’t be bothered to cook or you’re craving something sweet.
It’s no secret I love a good protein icecream. Sometimes I spend my whole workout thinking about what I’m going to throw in my blender afterwards! Yesterday I decided on cherries, oats and vanilla protein powder. These ingredients will help your muscle recovery after a workout. Studies suggest that eating cherries can increase blood flow and oxygen to your muscles, which can decrease soreness and aid in tissue repair. The oats and protein are also important to help refuel and rebuild your muscles after a tough workout.
Importantly this icecream tastes amazing- somehow the cherries and vanilla protein combine to make the flavour of bakewell tart, even though there are no almonds!
2 of your 5-a-day
Cherry Bakewell Protein Icecream Recipe
- 1 large frozen banana
- 1 cup frozen dark cherries
- 1 scoop (30g) vanilla plant protein powder (I used PhD woman)
- 1/4 cup soaked oats
- 1 brazil nut
- 1/3 cup coconut water
- Toppings: unsweetened dessicated coconut
- Soak the oats and brazil nut for 4 hours (or more) in just enough water to cover them. This will make them easier to digest and blend more smoothly. If you haven’t soaked them it’s not the end of the world but your icecream might be a grainy texture.
- Once soaked add the oats and nut to your blender. Next add the protein powder followed by the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and add your desired toppings.
Did you know….
Some flavoured protein powders contain artificial ingredients that aren’t good for your body. Check before you purchase one to make sure it only contains natural ingredients.
I usually don’t use flavoured protein but I got a free sample so I thought I’d try it out. (edit 15/07/16: now I like to use VivoLife PERFORM vanilla like in these chocolate fudge protein balls).
Have you made protein icecream before? What flavour would you like to try?