These lemon and chia seed oats are a take on the traditional lemon and poppy seed pairing. Chia seeds kind of look like poppy seeds right?
The oatmeal contains only 5 ingredients but is packed with flavour. Plus, thanks to the whole grain oats, fruit and chia seeds it is very nutritious and filling.
Want to know more about the benefits of chia seeds? Check out this informative article by Authority Nutrition.
lemon and chia seed oatmeal recipe
1 of your 5-a-day
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
- 1 cup oat milk (remember to shake the carton before you pour it)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- ½ – 1 lemon (juice only)
- Optional: ¼ tsp vanilla powder, 1 tsp cinnamon
- Toppings: Fresh figs
- Transfer the oats and boiling water to a pan and stir for about `1 minute until the oats have absorbed most of the water and become creamy.
- Turn on the heat and add the oat milk and chia seeds. Cook for 4-5 minutes until the chia seeds have swelled up and the oatmeal has become thicker.
- Turn off the heat and leave the oats to cool down for a few minutes. Next stir in the juice of half a lemon and optional vanilla powder and/or cinnamon. Taste the oatmeal and add extra lemon juice if desired.
DID YOU KNOW
How do you use chia seeds?