Lot’s of you have been asking for healthy snacks to satisfy your sugar cravings. These mocha energy bites are just the thing. Eat them pre-workout for a great energy boost or at your desk to increase concentration mid-morning.
I’ve really got into making bliss balls recently. They’re super quick to do and I feel happy knowing exactly what went into them. Some snack bars claim to be ‘healthy’ or have ‘natural’ in their name but then when you look on the packet they contain ‘glucose syrup’ and ‘palm oil’. That’s not in my definition of healthy.
This mocha energy bites recipe is refined sugar free (sweetened with dates) and contains complex carbohydrates from oats and healthy fats and protein from cashew nuts. These macro-nutrients should provided you with sustained energy. There’s also a cheeky hit of caffeine from the coffee. However, you can skip out the coffee and make chocolate energy balls or use decaffeinated if you still want the taste without the caffeine.
Also I need to mention the creamy cashew frosting. It’s to die for! I want to eat it on everything from now on 😍
0 of your 5-a-day
(You get a tiny serving of fruit from the date but that’s not really worth mentioning)
Mocha Energy Bite Recipe
- 6 medjool dates
- 1/4 cup raw cashew nuts
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1.5 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp ground coffee (or decafinated coffee)
- 2 tbsp roasted cashew butter
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- Blend together the dates, raw cashews and oats in a blender or food processor.
- Once it has formed a sticky ball add in the cacao powder and coffee. Then blend until smooth.
- Place the mixture between two 30cm squares of baking paper. Use a rolling pin, flatten the energy bite dough until its about 1.5cm thick.
- Remove the top sheet of baking paper and use a cookie cutter to cut out the energy bites. My cutter was around 2.5cm.
- Make the sauce by mixing the cashew butter and agave syrup until smooth. The add in the water one table spoon at a time until the mixture is runny enough to pour over the date energy bites. Then drizzle the frosting over (and lick the bowl clean!).
- Store them in the fridge for at least 2 hours to firm up. After that it’s best to keep them in the fridge and pop a couple in a little zip-lock bag if you want to take them to eat on the go.
Did you know….
Caffeine has been shown to help improve athletic performance and attention!
Do you love energy balls as much as me? What flavours have you experimented with?