I know it’s cold outside but I’m loving to start my day with a smoothie bowl- it really fills me up till lunch. Plus, the beautiful pink smoothie looks so lovely that it will put a smile on your face as soon as you start to blend. It’s super simple to make so perfect for sleepy mornings.
What makes this smoothie so special is the beetroot. As I said, it adds a pretty pink colour but also an earthy sweetness which means you don’t have to use any added sugar. Most importantly however, it is a source of phytonutrients called betalains. That means that beetroot has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and detoxifying properties.
So what are you waiting for- get out and buy some beetroots! You can use them in this gooey brownie batter oats recipe as well.
4 of your 5-a-day
- 1 small beetroot peeled
- 1-2 cup spinach
- 1 large or 2 small frozen bananas
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1/2 – 1 cup raspberries
- optional: 1 scoop protein powder, 1/4 cup oats
(recommended if you’re using this as a post-workout meal).
- Toppings :
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 tbsp unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs (optional)
- Blend the beetroot, spinach, banana, flax seeds, and coconut water (and optional extras).
- Transfer to a bowl and add your toppings.
Did you know….
Beetroots come in at least 5 different colours!! Deep purple, purple-red, pink with white rings, golden yellow and white.