Looking for the ultimate homemade protein balls or sweet snack?
Try these squidgy chocolate fudge bites.
I originally created them to eat before I exercise in the morning. These protein balls are a great pre-workout because they’re made with dates and raisins which act to raise your blood sugar and can stop you from feeling faint or shaky during a hard session. They’re also made with perform protein powder from vivo life (although you can substitute it for a different brand). Perform is totally vegan and contains branch chain amino acids (BCAAs), which can reduce muscle damage during your workout and help your muscles to recover.
That said you don’t just have to eat them before a workout. You can have one whenever you fancy something sweet or want a little energy boost– at home, at work, at the gym, at the park, in the car, on a train, on a plane….
Serves 6-8 balls
.5 of your 5-a-day
Chocolate Fudge Protein Ball Recipe
- 1 cup (about 8) medjool dates- make sure they’re nice and squishy.
- 1/4 cup flame rasins (from Tesco- they’re sooooo good)
- 1/2 cup unroasted cashew nuts
- 1 scoop vanilla or chocolate perform protein powder
- 1.5 tbsp. cacao powder.
- Blend all of the ingredients together.
- Once combined take it out of the blender and roll into a big ball. Leave it to stand for 30 minutes so it’s a bit less sticky, then roll into 6 to 8 smaller balls.
- Store in an air tight container. They should last at least a week. Longer if you keep them in the fridge.
I used a vitamix and the ingredients took literally 30 seconds to mix. But if you use a less powerful blender or food processor it might take you longer or not be as smooth.
Did you know….
Making your own protein balls is usually much cheaper than buying pre-made ones from the shops! Plus I find that these homemade chocolate fudge balls are more satisfying and squishy!
Have you every tried to make your own?
How did they turn out?
Update 17/07/2016: Check out Nic Louise posting my recipe on Facebook. Remember to #healthyandpsyched if you try it out.
Disclaimer: I was sent a sample of the protein powder to create a recipe for the Vivo Life website, but it’s become my favourite protein powder.