I’m back from a little blogging break with a recipe for crunchy cashew, cranberry and orange granola with warming cinnamon and ginger.
I haven’t made my own granola for a while, but it’s actually so easy do and always makes the house smell amazing! Plus, I like to make my own because I can control exactly how much sugar, nuts and add-ins to put in my granola!
This recipe is inspired by Christmas*, with spicy cinnamon and ginger, as well as festive coloured the red cranberries and green pumpkin seeds. The granola is sweetened with one tablespoon of maple syrup, dried cranberries and cinnamon. You can add in extra sweetener if you like, but you might have to adjust the cooking time to make sure that it is still crunchy.
*Is it okay to say the C-word yet?
Orange, Cranberry & Cashew Low Sugar Granola Recipe
<1 of your 5-a-day
- 2 cups rolled oats
- Juice of 1 large orange
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup unroasted cashews
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries*
* I used ones sweetened with pineapple juice.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
2. Mix together the oats, spices, maple syrup and orange juice.
3. Spread out the oat mixture on a baking tray and cook for 7 minutes.
4. Mix the granola and scatter over the cashews. Cook for a further 7 minutes.
5. Once the granola has cooked use the special crunchy granola trick
– turn off the oven and leave the door jar. Once the oven has cooled down (2+ hours) transfer the granola to an air tight jar.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and give it a go. You could even give it as a gift in a mason jar with a festive ribbon.