After having a delicious and pretty pink beetroot latte from Slaaw Food I knew I had to make my own version.
How do you turn beetroot into a latte?
Use beetroot powder!
Beetroot powder is brilliant for it’s colour alone. But it also tastes amazing – even if you’re not a beetroot lover you should try beetroot powder because it is fruitier and less earthy tasting than the real thing. Plus, beetroot is good for fighting inflammation, lowering blood pressure and increasing performance during exercise.
How does a beetroot latte taste?
You probably want to know what it tastes like before you go to the effort and expense of buying beetroot powder and making the latte.
Once I had one that literally tasted like marshmallows. I was in heaven and I felt like I embodied the heart eyes emoji for a good 10 minutes. It was the best thing ever!!
Beetroot lattes are sweet and kind of fruity. But I think the taste changes slightly depending on which type of plant-based milk you choose. I have made beetroot lattes with almond milk, cashew milk, rice milk and soya milk- they were all nice. I’ve never used coconut milk but that would probably be yummy as well. Have an experiment and see which one you like best.
How do you make it foamy?
I use a handheld foamer (shown in the photo below).
You can also buy special foamable/professional soya milk and oat milk. I have tried both and they foam up like crazy, but they do contain extra sweeteners and ingredients, so I don’t buy them that often. I prefer to stick to the more natural plantbased milk brands that contain only the nuts/oats/rice and water.
HOMADE MADE BEETROOT LATTE RECIPE
0 of your 5-a-day
- ½- 1 tbsp beetroot powder
- 1 tsp date syrup
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 1 cup plant-based milk (choose according to your dietary requirements e.g. almond milk for gluten-free or paleo).
- optional: 1 tsp maca powder
- Mix together the beetroot powder, date syrup and water in the mug you want to drink from. Make sure there are no lumps left.
- Pour the milk into a large mug and heat in the microwave for 1 minute. Next use a handheld milk foamer to create the bubbles. I hold it just beneath the surface and slowly move it up the mug as the level of the foam rises.
- Once your milk has foamed up pour it into your other mug with the beetroot and voila a beetroot latte! !
I don’t have the skills to make a pretty design on the top, but if you do go for it be sure to tag me in your creation so I can marvel at it
Did you know.
According to Bioglan 10g of their beetroot powder is the same as 2.5 medium beetroots!!
I hope you enjoyed this post.
Do you like beetroot and do you feel brave enough to try a beetroot latte?