If you love oats even one 10th as much as I do then you’ll love this recipe for Spicy Pumpkin Porridge.
Oats are so versatile and I love to eat them for breakfast, lunch or dinner. So far I’ve only posted sweet breakfast recipes, such as brownie batter oats or matcha zoats. But that’s all about to change with this savoury recipe!
I like to make savoury oatmeal because it’s super quick and easy when you can’t be bothered to cook. And everything is ready in one pan, which means minimal washing up! Plus I really enjoy the texture of porridge; it’s just so satisfying to tuck into a big steaming bowl of oats.
The flavour of this spicy pumpkin porridge reminds me slightly of Indian dishes and I love the little kick of chilli. I have used pumpkin puree, which I was very excited to find in the American section my local supermarket. But I think you could substitute it for cooked and mashed sweet potato or butternut squash.
3 of your 5-a-day
Spicy Pumpkin Porridge Recipe
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (GF optional)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen sweet corn
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp bullion stock powder
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- tiny pinch of cumin powder (optional)
- Grind of black pepper
– 2 tbsp mixed seeds (e.g. pumpkin, sunflower, hemp, flax)
– sprinkle of peas and sweetcorn
- Place all of the ingredients (except the toppings) in a pan and stir well.
- Cook on a medium heat until it starts to boil.
- Turn down the heat and cook for about 5 minutes until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Transfer to a bowl and add your desired toppings.
Did you know….
Lots of stock powders contain palm oil, which isn’t good for the environment or your body. I use Marigold Swiss Vegetable Vegan Organic Bullion powder, which contains no palm oil 🙂
Have I convinced you to try savoury oatmeal?