If you’re looking for a delicious healthy vegan post-workout snack then I’ve got just the thing- Quinoa Carob Bliss Balls.
This bliss ball recipe uses quinoa, which is a complete protein source and can help to repair your muscles after exercise. It also gives these bites a wonderful cakey texture. The second star ingredient in this recipe is Savvy chocolate flavour organic carob sesame spread. I love it because it’s refined-sugar free, super gooey, chocolatey and deserving of the 😍 emoticon.
It’s also worth pointing out that many other recipes use nuts for protein and substance, but this one it totally nut-free (although it does contain sesame)! It’s also gluten-free and suitable for vegans. Plus I’ve made it without dates and added raisins for a bit more texture and coconut flour to help it bind.
Serves: at least 6 balls (it depends how big you make them)
0.2 of your 5-a-day
- 1 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup Savvy organic carob sesame spread: chocolate*
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- Pulse together 1 cup quinoa, the Savvy spread and raisins in a blender or food processor. It doesn’t need to be super smooth, but it should be mixed together.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir in the rest of the quinoa and the coconut flour.
- Spread the cacao powder on a plate.
- Take 1 – 1.5tbsp of mixture and roll into a ball using your hands
- Gently coat the carob bliss ball in cacao by rolling it round the plate.
- Store in an air tight container.
Did you know….
Quinoa and carob syrup have a low glycemic index (GI), which means these homemade bliss balls won’t spike your blood sugar as much as one made with dates.
*You could substitute for 1/4 cup tahini, 1/4 cup dark carob syrup and 1 tsp cacao powder, but I haven’t tried this. I’d recommend buying the spread so you can make my Buzz Word Brownies as well!