UPDATE 09.10.2018: 1 SPACE LEFT
What is the Finding Balance with Food course?
In this 6-week, in-person course you will learn step-by-step how to rewrite your story around food, body image and your future. You will focus on nutrition and psychological strategies to help you escape the diet-binge cycle and to create the truly nourishing life that you deserve. You will also be part of a private facebook group to receive 24/7 support for the duration of the program.
This course is for you if you relate to any of the following:
- You’re constantly on a diet, but struggling to maintain your weight
- You try and eat healthily but end up binge eating and feeling guilty
- You feel emotional or anxious around food
- You often eat in secret and are embarrassed about what you eat
- Thinking about food is taking over your life
- The scales determines your self-worth
There’s so much conflicting diet advice out there and constant pressure from the (social) media to look a certain way.
It’s hard not to feel like you have to be on the paleo diet one week, eating steak and grass fed butter, and on a vegan diet, cutting out animal products the next! And after a week of hard dieting, skipping your favourite meals out… skipping meals full stop, you feel deflated when the numbers on the scales haven’t budged. Friday night comes around and you’ve earned that take-away or massive cheat meal, but you feel terrible in your body and terrible about yourself. You spend all weekend eating cr*p and vow to start again on Monday.
Dieting is totally exhausting- both mentally and physically
Wouldn’t it be nice if you could discover a way of eating that’s right for your body and your lifestyle.
A way of eating that doesn’t involve counting calories/ syns, avoiding meals or obsessing about food?
Oh wait – YOU CAN!
I’m Rachel, an eating psychology PhD researcher who helps women to break up with their diet rules and to start living a life they love.
I haven’t always had it together around food, I remember a time when food was on my mind from the moment I woke up until the moment I went to sleep; it took over my whole life and I couldn’t see a way out. What had started as a diet and quest to get healthy turned into an obsessive and restrictive pattern of eating, which damaged my mental + physical health and damaged important relationships. My problems with food meant that I had to quit my job abroad and move back in with my parents. One day something shifted and I started to binge eat uncontrollably every night when my parents were asleep. It got so bad that my mum literally had to hide food otherwise I would eat the lot. At the time, I was so angry at myself, but now I see that binge eating was my body’s way of telling me that it needed more food to survive and that controlling (or trying to control) food was a way for me to try and control my fear that I didn’t know where I was heading in life.
It wasn’t a straight path to the balanced relationship with food that I have today, but I learnt so much along the way. I know what it’s like to feel hopeless that things can ever change and I know how empowering it feels to be the one to change your life for the better. I want to use my experiences and evidence-based knowledge to help you avoid my mistakes and show you step-by-step how to build a healthy relationship with food.
In 6 weeks, we’ll cover
Your Food Stories
- Meet the other 5 members of the course in a relaxed setting
- Tell your story of your relationship with food and your body in a guided exercise to help you delve deep into your past, connect events and experiences, and to gain new insights into your current self
- Understand where your thoughts and beliefs about eating came from and that you don’t have to accept them as a fact
- Be inspired to make changes in your life
- Goal setting; begin to write the future of your story
Nutrition for Physical &
- Learn about the restrict-binge cycle and how to ditch the diet-talk
- Change your mindset so that you never fall off the wagon again
- Understand your cravings and implement new strategies to avoid them
- Learn how to nourish your body and mind
SPECIAL GUEST and BANT registered nutritional therapist, Lucy Kay from The Mind & Body Tree will be on hand to discuss quick, easy and healthy meal/snack ideas & to answer your questions about nutrition for physical and mental health
If you want to know more about the physiology and psychology of eating then this week is a must for you
- Become connected to your body again and trust it to guide your food choices
- Learn to recognise and listen to your hunger signals and satiety cues in a guided exercise and take-home activities
- Understand the benefits of mindful eating and how to make eating with greater awareness party of your daily life
- Mindful eating practice using handmade dark chocolates flavoured with uplifting wild orange or soothing peppermint essential oils
BONUS (Limited to 2 spaces per date): Mindful chocolate making workshop with goodies to take home. Thursday 27th September 6.30-8.30pm [Derby] or Sunday 28th October 1.30-3.30pm [Derby]
Navigating Feelings & Emotions without Turning to Food
- Get clear on what is causing your emotional eating
- Build your emotional coping tool kit so you no longer use food
- Advice on stress management, relationships and work-life balance
This week focuses on your mind, body and soul; you will draw together everything that you’ve learnt on the course so far to regain control from emotional eating and to truly nourish your life
BONUS FREE copy of Overcome Emotional Eating Workbook (£16.99) for immediate download when you sign up to the course
Self-compassion & Body acceptance
- Take a body image quiz to see the impact it has on all areas of your life
- Learn to stop the harsh self-criticisms and self-judgment
- Freeing exercises surrounding self-acceptance and kindness
- Building an action plan to develop self-love
SPECIAL GUEST, personal trainer and mental health campaigner Saima Majid will be on hand to talk about her journey to self-acceptance and the challenges of promoting body positivity in fitness industry. She might even give us a taster belly dancing lesson if everyone in the group is up for it!
Planning for success
- Draw to together what you’ve learnt about the psychology of building lasting habits and routines that work for you
- Be confident that you will no longer fall off the wagon and can recover from setbacks without guilt or punishing yourself
- Strengthen your support system with your new friends from the workshop
Most importantly, you’ll feel more free around food as we celebrate the end of the course and all of your achievements with a slice of cake
I HADN’T KNOWN WHAT RESULTS TO EXPECT (IF, ANY) BUT, IT’S FELT LIKE I’VE HAD A FRESH START WITH FOOD AND DRINK. I TAKE GREATER RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE FOODS I EAT NOW, AND FEEL AS THOUGH I DECIDE WHAT I WILL OR WON’T EAT. MORE OFTEN NOW I CALL THE SHOTS, I TAKE THE TIME TO THINK ABOUT WHY I WANT TO EAT (IS IT BECAUSE I’M HUNGRY?), AND I STOP MYSELF FROM EATING ON AUTOPILOT WITHOUT REGISTERING AND ENJOYING THE FOOD. THE BIGGEST CHANGES HAVE BEEN THAT I’M NOW TRYING NEW HEALTHY FOODS AND ONLY DRINKING ALCOHOL 2 NIGHTS A WEEK.HAYLEY G
Time: The course runs over 6x 2 hour weekly sessions in a small intimate group (places are extremely limited)
Sessions will be held 7.30-9.30pm Tuesday evenings
from 16th Oct – 20th Nov 2018.
Location: Venue within 5 minutes drive of Derby City center (nearly Darley Park).
The sessions provide a safe space for you to
- talk about your relationship with food, become more self-aware and make a break through on what is currently holding you back
- ask questions and get tailored advice from an eating disorder specialist, a nutritional therapist and a personal trainer
- meet other like-minded individuals on their wellness journey
You will receive a folder to keep all of the information sheets, plus worksheets to complete at home, suggested reading and podcasts.
You can also enjoy complimentary drinks and snacks during the sessions. There will be a range of premium herbal teas & soft drinks as well as snacks, such as energy balls or crudités, crackers & homemade dips (all dietary requirements can be catered for).
BONUS: Sign up TODAY and get instant access to the course facebook group for on-going support before we begin.
ARE YOU READ TO
- put yourself first?
- make mind-set shifts?
- EAT LIKE A NORMAL PERSON?
- live a nourishing life?
Please note, this course is not suitable for you if you have a current diagnosis of or consider yourself to be experiencing a clinical eating disorder, drug or alcohol addiction, serious trauma or clinical depression. I offer private and personalised 1-1 sessions that may be more suited to your needs – please contact me to find out more.
ONLY ONE SPACE LEFT
SIGN UP NOW IF YOU’RE SERIOUS ABOUT IMPROVING YOUR LIFE THROUGH THE WAY YOU THINK AND FEEL ABOUT FOOD, AND THE FOOD YOU EAT
I’ve been a massive fan of Rachel and her food and lifestyle blog for a while and it was an absolute delight speaking to her over the phone. Rachel is a great listener, supportive and offers advice that is helpful and mindful of people’s struggles. I’d recommend health coaching from Rachel as she is so understanding and really listens to offer a personalised approach to improving your health
- Introduction & your story
- Finding balance with food for physical and mental health
- Intuitive eating
- Navigating emotions and feelings without turning to food
- Self-compassion and body acceptance
- Planning for success
SPECIAL GUESTS RECAP
- Lucy Kay a BANT registered nutritional therapist will be revealing her top tips to make healthy eating easy and enjoyable.
- Saima Majid a personal trainer and mental health campaigner will share her journey to body positivity
- Mindful chocolate making workshop with goodies to take home (Limited to 2 spaces per date). Thursday 27th September 6.30-8.30pm [Derby] or Sunday 28th October 1.30-3.30pm [Derby]
- FREE copy of Overcome Emotional Eating Workbook (£16.99) for immediate download when you sign up to the course
- Immediate access to a private facebook group so that you can start transforming your relationship with food straight away
TESTIMONIALS FROM MY 1 HOUR WORKSHOPS
(we’re going to be working together, learning and growing for 12 hours on the Finding Balance with Food Course + you have access to me between sessions in our private facebook group)
Rachel’s workshop was laid back and easy to digest the information that she spoke about. I felt at ease and relaxed in the session. I was able to recognize a lot of the incidences that she described in my already busy day to day and just attending for 1 hour has made a difference to how I eat.CATHERINE J.
After struggling with various issues around food and my body for many years, I decided to attend Rachel’s workshop on Negative Self Talk. Rachel is really inspirational on her Instagram and Blog and I love her ‘small changes’ type approach, so I felt she would be just perfect for this kind of discussion. The group environment was small and reassuringly intimate, and Rachel took us through her workbook which is founded on psychological evidence. I enjoyed the opportunity to reflect on my beliefs around food and discuss with Rachel and the group how we can make small steps to start changing these habits and unhealthy beliefs. I would definitely recommend the workshop to anyone struggling with issues around food and unhealthy habits. Thank you Rachel!JENNY R.
It was nice to hear other people’s ideas and thoughts and know that everyone had their own issues with food and you are not alone.ANON.
Commonly asked questions
Can I join if I'm doing Slimming World or Weight Watchers?
Can I join if I have an eating disorder?
Can I join if I hate group work?
What if I'm busy/sick one week?
It’s totally fine for you to skip one week for whatever reason. I just ask that you read the content for the week that you missed and I am happy to book a 30 minute – 1 hour Skype call with you to go over what we discussed in the group on that week.