Have you been dreaming about the most perfect no fail vegan / gluten- free pancakes with no added sugar?
Well, I’m about to make your dreams a reality – and just in time for Pancake Day on the 28th of February 2017!
This recipe is great if you’re taking part in sugar-free February or are looking for a healthier alternative to a traditional recipe and don’t want to compromise on taste.
You might remember last year when I tried and tested 3 blueberry pancake recipes from famous bloggers/chefs. I said at the time that making vegan pancakes can be difficult. But I finally think I have made a NO FAIL recipe….well I have made them 4 times and they have been brilliant every time, so that’s good enough for me.
Making vegan pancakes
This vegan pancake recipe uses banana in place of eggs. Try and use a nice yellow banana – it’s important to use a ripe banana to add sweetness, but if it is too ripe (i.e. is covered in brown spots) then the pancakes will have a strong banana taste.
Making gluten-free pancakes
Apparently gluten-free baking works best with a blend of flours. For this recipe I used a blend of oats, buckwheat flour and coconut flour. In the past I have tried to make pancakes with only one of these types of flour and they never worked well.
You might be a bit apprehensive about buying 3 different types of flour, but they will store in your cupboard for a long time and you can use them in lots of other recipes, for example baked oats, bliss balls or bread!
Also, just to say that I used to eat gluten-free because I thought it was healthier – but now I realise that it isn’t necessarily better for you to eat gluten-free unless you have an allergy/intolerance. That said, I do like to try baking with different kinds of flours and I never use refined white flour in my home baking.
No fail vegan & gluten-free pancake recipe
Serves 1-2 *
1 of your 5 a day + fruit toppings
- ½ cup oats (gluten-free optional)
- 2 tbsp buckwheat flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 small yellow banana (100g)
- ½ – ¾ cup plant-based milk
- ¼ tsp baking powder (gluten-free optional)
- Coconut oil spray – for cooking
- Serve with fresh fruit, desiccated coconut or toppings of your choice.
- Blend the oats in a blender or food processor until they have the texture of flour.
- Next add the rest of the ingredients and blend well.
- Leave the pancake batter to rest for 10-20 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick pan to a medium heat. If you don’t have a non-stick pan then add 1-2 sprays of coconut oil to your pan (recommended by Healthy Jon).
- Add 2 tbsp of pancake batter into the pan and shape it into a circle. Leave to cook for 1 minute until small bubble appear. Turn over the pancake and cook for 1 minute.
- Place the pancake on a plate and repeat step 5 until all of the batter has been used up.
- Add your toppings and enjoy.
*If I was making these for brunch I’d probably eat them all to myself and be very full afterwards!
Note: I have tried to make a thinner version of the batter, but that didn’t cook as well.
DID YOU KNOW
One of my favourite pancake toppings is ripe avocado – it’s so creamy!! I also love warm berries, soya yogurt and almond butter.
Are you celebrating pancake day?
What’s your favourite topping?