I’m so excited to share this recipe for healthy peanut butter cookie dough oatmeal.
It seems so long since I have shared a breakfast recipe, which is hard to believe because breakfast is 100% my favourite meal. I love how you can take something as simple as oats and turn them into such a delicious and decadent meal, but one that is healthy enough to eat every day.
This peanut butter cookie dough oatmeal follows a similar recipe to my insanely popular banana porridge, but I have added peanut butter, coconut flour and baking soda.
The peanut butter is primarily there because it tastes so good and I can’t seem to go a day without eating it. But peanuts contain protein, fibre and monounsaturated fats, which have a massive range of benefits, for example keeping you feeling full, your digestive system moving and your heart healthy.
A standard serving of peanut butter is 30g, which is about 2 tbsp. Although I think it is very easy to eat more than that if you’re not careful. When I made these oats I added 1 tbsp of peanut butter to the oats and then 1 on top. If you want to go to peanut butter heaven you could add 2 tbsp to the oats and some on top, however, I wouldn’t recommend doing that every day.
The coconut flour is there for the cookie dough texture, I like how it bulks up the oats and is slightly grainy. You will definitely notice a difference from your normal bowl of oats.
Lastly, the baking soda is there to make it taste more like a cookie. I absolutely love cookies made with baking soda. But beware a little goes a long way and you only need to use a teeny tiny bit in this recipe. If you use too much the oats will end up tasting sour/ fizzy/ metallic, which is obviously not what you want. If this does happen I would recommend adding more of the other ingredients to make a double portion and just save some for the next day.
One last thing. This recipe makes a large portion and I was struggling to get through it. So even if you usually use more oats in your porridge I would recommend you stick to the recipe I have given.
Ready to learn how to make the most delicious bowl of oatmeal that you’ve had this year?
(Big claim but I know these peanut butter cookie dough oats won’t disappoint).
Healthy Vegan Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Oatmeal Recipe
2 of your 5-a-day
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup oat milk
- 1 small ripe banana
- 1-2 tbsp peanut butter (find out how to pick a healthy one here)
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- A really tiny bit of baking soda
- Toppings: ¼ cup pomegranate arils, 1 tbsp cacao nibs, 1 tbsp peanut butter
- Heat the oats and oat milk on a medium heat.
- Mash the banana and add it to your oats and then add in the rest of the ingredients apart from the baking soda. Give it a really good stir.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes until it reaches your desired consistency. Keep stirring it every minute to help break down the banana and make the porridge sweeter.
- Next wet a tea spoon and dip the very end in the baking soda. You only need a teeny tiny bit! Stir in the baking soda and taste the oats. If you want it to taste slightly more tangy then add a really tiny bit more baking soda.
- Transfer the peanut butter cookie dough oats to a bowl and add your toppings. Then sit down and enjoy.
DID YOU KNOW
You could add raisins and cinnamon while cooking or mini chocolate chips as a topping to make two more delicious kinds of cookie dough oatmeal!
If you make this peanut butter cookie dough oatmeal remember to tag me @healthyandpsyched on instagram. I love to see how you have styled the food and what you thought of the recipe. Also go ahead and add it to pinterest for when you need some breakfast inspiration.
Do you love peanut butter and oats as much as I do?