Here’s a quick and easy recipe to use up leftover roasted vegetables; butternut squash hummus and roasted broccoli on toast!
I shared this on instagram and received positive comments, with a few people also saying that they had never considered it before, so I decided to share the idea on my blog as well. One of my biggest passions is showing people how to eat fruit and vegetables in new and interesting ways, and I think this counts as one.
This basic idea is versatile; you could replace the butternut squash with sweet potato, and the broccoli with your favourite veggie, Emma from Walks, Talks and Eats commented on my insta post and suggested using courgette or grilled peppers.
Veggie packed toast with butternut squash hummus and roasted broccoli
- 4x 2cm chunks of roasted butternut squash*
- 2 tbsp hummus
- 3-4 florets of roasted broccoli
- 1-2 slice of your favourite bread (I used seeded sourdough)
*It doesn’t really matter how much you use, but obviously if you use more it will taste more like butternut squash and have less of the texture of hummus. Also, if you use 80g it counts as one of your 5-a-day; the same goes with whatever veggie/s you add to the top.
Check out this post for roasting vegetables. I usually roast butternut squash chunks for about 35 minutes and broccoli for around 20 minutes at 180°C.
1. To make the cheats hummus, all you need to do is mash the butternut squash and then mix it with the hummus!
2. Once your bread has toasted, spread on the hummus.
3. Assembly your veggies on top, add salt/pepper/chilli flakes to taste, and then enjoy eating it
Do you like to add vegetables to your toast or are you a traditional butter or jam kind of person?
P.S. If you answered YES to the question above then think that you will love this Halloween themed recipe for peas on toast!