Lettuce wraps make a perfect light lunch. They’re especially good if you’re trying to lose a few post-Christmas pounds or want to feel healthier after new year.
These wraps are packed with antioxidants, which will leave you feeling fantastic. In addition, skipping the grains traditionally used for wraps means they aren’t carbohydrate heavy and so won’t leave you feeling bloated.
For this recipe I have used chickpeas for protein, butternut squash for carbs and avocado for fat. It’s a good balance to keep you satisfied until dinner. Although, you could take the idea and play around with what ever fillings you like.
For this recipe I recommend you use organic lettuce to reduce your consumption of pesticides and chemicals. Make sure you wash it well and look out for creepy crawlies (I’ve found flies, ants and tiny caterpillars before!).
This recipe serves 2, but I like to eat half and keep the rest in the fridge for lunch the next day. If you do that then keep the filling and lettuce separate and only assemble it when you want to eat it.
5 of your 5-a-day
top tip: Don’t over fill the lettuce wraps otherwise they will be hard to hold together and the filling will fall out!
- 1 organic romaine lettuce
- 1 carton of chickpeas drained
- 200g butternut squash cubed
- 1 avocado cubed
- 1 cup sweetcorn
- 10cm cucumber cut in thin rounds
- Flavouring: cracked black pepper, chilli flakes and/or lime juice
- Steam the butternut squash for 10-15 mins until tender
- break off the leaves of the lettuce, wash and lay out
- Mix the filling ingredients together then spoon onto lettuce
- Add your falvouring, curl up the sides of the lettuce and enjoy
Did you know….
Butternut squash has over twice your recommended vitamin A intake per 100g. Vitamin A is important for your eyes, bones, teeth and skin!!
I’d love to see your recreations