These peanut butter bean burgers are the perfect addition to any BBQ or dinner party – they’re packed with flavour and texture. But actually, what I am most excited about is the name! It’s kind of a play on words since they are made with peanut butter and butter beans!
What makes these turmeric peanut butter bean burgers so great?
I think that one criticism that a lot of people have towards vegan bean burgers is that they are too smushy. I tried to avoid that by including extra ingredients that you need to chew on. Crunchy peanut butter is an absolute MUST for this recipe – even if you’re in team smooth the rest of the time. The nuts add a great bite to the bean burger, as does the brown rice.
Also, the mixture of turmeric and tamari is sort of addictive – I found myself craving more burgers the day after they’d all been eaten!
Turmeric and peanut butter bean burgers
Serves 6 burgers
<1 of your 5-a-day
- 1 carton (400g before draining) organic butter beans
- 1/3 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 1/2 tbsp unsalted crunchy peanut butter (I used Pic’s)
- 1 tbsp gluten-free flour (I used buckwheat)* + extra for dusting
- 2 tbsp tamari**, or soy-sauce
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Ground black pepper
- Salad and/or Burger Buns of your choice to serve
* I would advise against using rice flour in the burgers because I find it is quite dense and has a tendency to dry out bean burgers so they don’t hold together very well.
**You might want to use a bit less tamari if you have used salted peanut butter otherwise it will be too salty!
- Place the beans in a pasta bowl and mash well.
- Add in the brown rice and peanut butter and mix well again.
- Add in the flour, tamari and pepper and mix carefully so it doesn’t spill over the sides of the bowl.
- Leave the mixture in the fridge to chill for at least 20 minutes.
- Once you’re ready to make the burgers heat the oven to 180°C.
- Sprinkle flour on a baking tray and onto your hands. Shape the burger dough into 6 patties. Leave a bit of flour on the outside of each bean burger. You want to try and make them equal size and not too thick so that they all cook at the same rate and don’t break apart after you’ve cooked them.
- Cook the peanut butter bean burgers for 20 minutes on each side. If they still feel a bit too squishy you can cook them for an extra 5 minutes each side.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool slightly before serving.
I have put 2 patties in the burger for the photo, but that would obviously be impossible to eat. So I suggest you just go for one and then eat another burger if you still have room!
Have you ever tried eating veggie burgers?
This recipe was the first post in PEANUT BUTTER WEEK 2017!
MORE PEANUT BUTTER WEEK RECIPES
- Peanut Butter, Peach & Basil Smoothie
- Peanut Butter Hummus
- Mini Chocolate, Peanut Butter & Jelly Doughnuts